Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Serangoon Junior College 20th College Day

4 July 2009

Today is Brother's proudest moment. He would be receiving 3 awards for his achievement in his CCA (Shooting). Father would be so happy if he could be at the hall.

After taking our temperatures and filling in the forms for contact tracing at the gate, we made our way to the school hall. It was amusing when I was greeted by a student that asked if I was a prize recipient or a parent. "Obviously, I'm not a parent!" I said, and everyone burst out in laughter.

The Guest-of-Honour for the occasion was Mrs Tan Ching Yee, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education. She was a good orator with a good grasp of vocabulary. I doubt many of the other students can fully appreciate her speech but it was great. SRJC Principal Mr Tan Teck Hock delivered a frank and touching speech. If I were his student, I might just have stood up on the chair and screamed some slogan as a hurray.

Meanwhile, I was contemplating how to get a good shot for Brother. When time came, ignoring the stares of the audience, I went straight to the front of the stage and started snapping.

CCA Achievement Award (Individual)

CCA Achievement Award (Team)

CCA Leadership Award
Under the leadership of the Mr Tan, SRJC students had become more dynamic and exposed to more opportunities. Lin Qiang is lucky to have had entered SRJC the same year Mr Tan did. Among many achievements the school see this year, I remember vividly that the percentage of distinctions for Project Work went up from single digits to a good 60-80% range. What a leap!

Ex-students of SRJC also pledged to donate a sum every year towards the college fund.

The Valedictorian was well-prepared. One thing I remember she said was, "Projects can fail but you can't fail People." Very relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your feedback and comments.