Friday, May 15, 2009

都是你 It's all About You

13 May 2009

The Chinese believe that 7x7=49 days after a person dies, the spirit would then either go to the Netherlands or to Heaven.

The first 7th day is the saddest moment for the deceased. He will return back home and find out that he had passed away. All the reflecting surfaces should be covered up to prevent him from seeing his own reflection. The rice container should be filled to the brim so that he can be assured that the family would have sufficient food to eat. Many people would have dreams about their beloved kin.

Everyday leading to the 3rd 7th day (21st day), rice would be served together with dishes on the altar. On each of the 7th day leading to the 49th day, there would be prayers and offerings would be made. Incense papers would be burnt. From the 21st day onwards, cooking utensils, oil, salt and rice would be placed under the altar. The servants in the Netherworld would take over and cook for the deceased.

I dreamt of my Father the very night that his body was cremated. He said he was hungry. When I awoke, I could feel a force pushing me down to the bed. It resembled a hug. Shocked, I tried to yell but apparently no one could hear me. After a minute or two, I managed to wake and immediately rushed to my Mother, who was awake then, but didn't hear me yelling.

Anyway, today's the 49th day. It's 48 to be exact but since Father had 2 sons, 1 day was deducted according to the priest.

The priest added Father to the ancestral tablet. Now he is back with his ancestral family.

It seems naive for me to leave the door unlocked everyday, hoping that he will return one day. Images and memories so afresh.



谁 改变了我的世界
Who has changed my world?
没有方向 没有日夜
Intially without a direction, with no sense of time,
我看着天 这一刻在想你
I look up upon the sky, thinking of you at this point in time,
是否会 对我一样思念
Wondering if you are thinking of me too.

你 曾说我们有一个梦
You said we had a dream,
等到那天 我们来实现
Until that day, we will fulfil.
我望着天 在心中默默念
Looking upon the sky, I mumble to myself,
下一秒 你出现在眼前
Hoping that you appear at the next second.

想念的心 装满的都是你
The heart contains all about you.
我的钢琴 弹奏的都是你
The song I'm playing on the piano is all about you.
我的日记 写满的都是你的名
My diary is all about you.
才发现 又另一个黎明
And then, I realised it's yet another day.

这是我 对你爱的累积
This is the accumulation of Love I have for you...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your feedback and comments.