Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Saddest Moment in My Life

26 March 2009

Returned to home from a tutorial. The long travelling makes me exhausted. When I returned home, I felt something was not right. There was a stench that greeted me.

Father had been down with Cancer for about a year. For the past few days, he had become very weak from the 4th round of chemotherapy. 2 days ago, he fell in the kitchen and woke me up from my sleep. After helping him onto bed, I realised that the gas was accidentally turned on. I couldn't imagine what would happen if I wasn't at home. I immediately called Mother who took half day leave from work.

I went into the master bedroom to find that my Father had defaecated at the bed as he was too weak to walk. He insisted that I wait for Mother to return to clean up the mess. I couldn't wait as it was unhygienic. After cleaning up, I bathed my Father for the first and last time in my life.

I was completely exhausted, so I desperately called my Uncle, who came promptly, to help carry my Father back to the bed. My Uncle had ferried my Father to the hospital for every radiotherapy and chemotherapy sessions. Today, he felt that things were not right. But then, Father jerked himself to sit upright when my Uncle talked to him. Before my Uncle left, he called my Aunt to come and cook something nutritious for my Father. He also suggested to hospitalise Father the next day.

Mother and Aunt came back to tend to Father. Seeing that things are alright, I went to attend a meeting and jogged. I was notified that Father would be going to the hospital when I was doing my cooldown. I dashed back home and changed up.

The paramedics came and noted that oxygen level and blood pressure were low. They gave him the oxygen mask. My Father had a fever which lasted about 2 days. Mother and I helped the paramedics carry Father out to the stretcher. Father gripped my hand and I could see his worry, or fear.

I returned my Brother's call when I was in the ambulance. It was his usual call to reassure the family that he's doing well in the Navy. I didn't want him to be distracted from his military training, so I hid it from him that we were sending Father to hospital. As he asked about the beeping sound in the background, I had to tell a white lie, which I deeply regretted.

When we hit the PIE, the paramedic seated beside me asked the driver to "on siren and go". Mother and I were shocked, but the paramedic calmly told us that it was because of the low blood pressure. I was crying and didn't want Father to know. I regretted not chatting with him throughout the journey.

We reached SGH. When Father was pushed into the A&E, he was staring into blank space. A while later, a pregnant doctor called us to a room and updated us that Father was in a critical condition and that the medical team was trying to stabilise his condition. The second time she updated us, I could see her wet eyes. And she asked us to inform any family members that were not present to come.

Near midnight, Father was transferred to the ICU. With all the machines and tubes attached to him, he showed no response as Uncle, Aunt and I followed behind...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your feedback and comments.