Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Kg Chai Chee Toastmasters Club Speechcraft

16 December 2008

Was the photographer and timer for the speechcraft course conducted by Kg Chai Chee Toastmasters Club. I felt that the speechcraft students had improved vastly after focusing on more eye contact with the audience. Looking forward to their competition in a few weeks' time.

As I sat through the speechcraft, I recalled how I became a Toastmaster. When I was first introduced into Kg Chai Chee Toastmasters Club by Madam Sim Lai Ngin, I was intrigued by the procedures and the emphasis on timing by Toastmasters. After joining it, I made a lot of friends and got to know a lot of experienced speakers. Mdm Sim had been a great mentor, guiding me from the beginning.


We ended the session late and when we were rushing out of Kg Chai Chee CC, the staff gave a stern look and scolded one of us. It was only 5 minutes. Suddenly I felt so lucky to be serving in Eunos CC, where it's cosy and the staff are friendly.

After the speechcraft, I brought my laptop to MacDonald's and met up with Hock Rong to type our minutes of meeting. As soon as we bought our drinks, some of the lights were switched off. Overheard a customer saying, "What a way to shoo off your customers!" It was much later that the manager told us that the fast food restaurant would be closed for maintenance.

Hock Rong suddenly had the desire for BBQ Stingray at Blk 85 Bedok Market. So off we went and filled our stomach. We walked in search for dessert but to no avail. Even when we reached the Mac at Bedok North, we were told that the ice-cream machine was not functioning. We walked further and reached the beacon of hope (or so I thought) - Bedok Interchange MacDonald's.

If you thought this is a partially eaten McFlurry, then you are so wrong. When I collected this from the counter, I was aghasted.

To make a better comparison, this is how a $1.50 Chocolate Fudge Sundae differs from my $2 McFlurry...

Without the cover on, it looks like this (Note: I haven't started eating it)

Hock Rong ate his sundae and remarked, "I feel the fullness in the vanilla!" My reply was, "I'm a McFlurry lover but the size just gets smaller!"

In the wee hours, weird things happen. There was a lady which marched around the whole fast food restaurant and laughed painfully to no one. I had my sense of empathy towards her. There were also some aunties taking their forty winks around the restaurant. They were most probably waiting for their work to start. I will never let this happen to my parents!

I recall an experience in Bugis MacDonald's in the wee hours as well, when a man actually slept on the ground and when the staff asked him to wake, he left leaving his solid waste behind. There are many people among us that we could extend our helping hands, but if we don't start from the family, these problems will be persistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your feedback and comments.