Sunday, May 04, 2008

What I did on Shutdown Singapore 2008

May 3 was marked the day of Shutdown Singapore 2008.

Description from FaceBook:

"Shutdown Day is a Global Internet Experiment whose purpose is to get people to think about how their lives have changed with the increasing use of the home computer, and whether or not any good things are being lost because of this.

The idea of Shutdown Day project is simple - just shutdown your computer for one whole day of the year and involve yourself in some other activities: outdoors, nature, sports, fun stuff with friends and family - whatever, just to remind yourself that there still exists a world outside your monitor screen.

http://www.shutdownday.com/ "

Had a late start in Shutting down the computer since I was using the computer past midnight the day before. After waking up in the morning, I went to prepare for my examinations while watching the television. It was only when I read the newspapers that I realised Shutdown = not just the computer but all electronic gadgets. Hence I would say I only experienced a half Shutdown day, because I just can't possibly turn off the mobile phone!

In the afternoon, went for a jog around Bedok Reservoir with my Parents. I paced my Father as we jogged past the vibrant scenery, people and monkeys. It is amazing how the Reservoir looked in the day, so full of life and serenity.

After the jog, met Bao Hui for dinner. Had my first Ramly burger in my life. It could be that the burger was delicious or just that I was too hungry anyway. We were queuing for the "Indonesian Shark's Fin Soup" at the Pasar Malam until we saw a $5 note dropped into the soup... We went back to our usual place for chatting. Had a great time.

Leaving the computer off for a whole day is really fruitful. Spending more time with people face-to-face rather than through the virtual world gives a more healthy and wholesome experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your feedback and comments.