Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Good Samaritan returned my lost laptop

24 September 2007

It was a close shave. Nearly lost my laptop that contained priceless information.

After a long discussion with the Political Science group, the weariness had already got into me. Misplaced my laptop and cashcard while photocopying some materials.

At Jurong East, I saw many banks across the street from the interchange but when I went over there, I could not locate UOB. I thought all the big banks were there, and how could UOB not be there? Even Maybank is there. Sighz.

I succinctly saw some red lines and a blue background over at IMM. Walked over to find out that it was just a carpark label. As I was moving to my bus berth, the bus left. After 30 minutes, the next bus came.

Arrived at Bedok Central to deposit some cash. Left my laptop above the machine accidentally, and went over to retrieve some cash from another account. Phoosh~ laptop vanished into thin air.

I could remember how panic I was. Walking around the vicinity to see if anybody was holding on to my belonging. My efforts were in vain. Resigning to fate, I called the Bedok Neighbourhood Police Centre, jot down the ATM machine number (hopefully thinking that the camera above the machine could have captured the incident). Took a cab and flew to the police post.

While I was reporting my incident to the police, my phone rang and the battery died flat. When it was turned on again, I received from an SMS stating: "You want your laptop?"

The Corporal on duty called the number and after explaining the scenario, passed over the phone to me. The person who found the missing article was obviously frightened and worried that he might get himself into trouble. After some coaxing and calming down by both me and the policeman, he requested me to meet at his void deck.

His wife had picked up my laptop and had wanted to return it the next day. He, instead, thought that I might have been frantically looking around for the laptop, so he turned it on and successfully searched my contact details (until this point, I'm still quite puzzled how he got them).

I handed over my business card over to them and hopefully one day I can return this favour.

The departing message from the man was to return the favour to someone else, just like someone had helped him recently.

What a long day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your feedback and comments.