Sunday, April 01, 2007

Qing Ming Festival 2007

As in previous years, I woke up at 6 plus to eat my breakfast and ready myself to move out. And as always, my family is on standby way, way way before my Uncle arrives to fetch us. So I got back to sleep while the transport arrives.

My Uncle drives a lorry. So during Qing Ming Festival, my family and some relatives will hop on to his lorry and travel to the temple. I always enjoy the strong breeze as the lorry speeds up in the highway. This year, only Uncle Francis, Eldest Aunt, Youngest Aunt, 4th Uncle, Father, Mother, You Xian & You Chun (Cousins) went.

Qing Ming Festival is a special occasion when the Chinese offer prayers to the ancestors or those who have passed away, and the day they are remembered.

The day's weather was good. Came with a bit of sprinkling but turned out to be breezy at noon time.

The temple is packed with lots of people. We managed to place a table in front of our ancestors' urns. Food was displayed on the table and prayers were made. While we were all waiting for 4th Uncle to return from parking his vehicle, my cousins and I did a bit of chit-chatting and catching up. And then halfway through, we saw Felicia Chin (Mediacorp Artiste) walking pass in front of us. She didn't put up make-up, unlike the previous encounters, and she smile and looked at us a she walked past. And yes, we noticed her. My cousins then went to track her but she was leaving already.

The temple houses the ancestors from Hakka descent. With this, we deduced that she is a Hakka. Hakka RuleZ!

Big Aunt had a bad news to share. Their Elder Paternal Cousin had passed away while in Australia. She had gone there for her daughters' graduation ceremony. She was watching the television when her nose and mouth bled. "Could be a burst in the blood vessel," said 4th Uncle.

My cousins and I also observed one lady trying to park her car but did not dare to move her vehicle after being driven to an awkward position. At least 10 men were watching but none helped. We had no driving license so we tried not to add on her pressure by staring at her. Alas, she made a call, and a man appeared to save her day.

After burning the incense papers, we hopped back on to the lorry and got on our journey home. Along the PIE expressway, both directions had car accidents. Tragic. One had been burnt in the engine that the whole front of the vehicle was black.

This is how Qing Ming Festival 2007 went

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting. I'm writing up an entry on Qing Ming and plan to link to this - unless you object. Thanks.
    http://mus-mandarin.blogspot.com/2007/04/qing-ming.html

    ReplyDelete

Please share your feedback and comments.