Thursday, April 19, 2007

Cyber Wellness Talk in Temasek Junior College

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

In the morning after my driving lesson, I headed to Temasek Junior College where I'll be delivering a talk on the topic "Cyber Wellness". I arrived too early so I found a corner at the neighbourhood to do some final rehearsing.

At 12.30 pm, I entered TJC and met up with Mr Terence Ong, my former Civics Tutor. He gave me a treat, the food that I used to eat when I was a student. After consuming our lunch, we went into the Auditorium to set up the projector system and sound system.

As this is my first time speaking to a large crowd (half of TJC year 2 cohort) which filled the entire first floor, I rehearsed a few times and prayed that nothing would be amiss.

As Mr Ong introduced me to the audience, I was already in my top form. I started off introducing myself and my purpose for being there giving the talk. And then I told a fictitious story which got majority of the audiences laughing. From then on, my confidence increased which lasted me through the entire talk of about 40 minutes.

I learned that it is important not to be distracted by audiences who are not receptive. By focusing my vision to the students who are listening attentively, I feel more comfortable and the talk seemed like a one-way conversation to a friend rather than a large group.

When the whole talk ended, I heard the applause. Whew!

I had a full lunch, but at the end of the presentation, I felt emptiness in my stomach. So much energy expended haha.

An online forumer from the ex TJC forums came to the front and informed me of the new TJC forum at http://www.tertiaryessayist.com.

Forgot to request photographs from the photographic society. Anyway I'll be back to Temasek Junior College next week for a talk to the rest of the year 2 cohort. I am beginning to enjoy public speaking.

1 comment:

Please share your feedback and comments.