Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A Proactive Friendly Hamster

Yesterday night while I was playing with my hamsters, I witnessed how one hamster was so proactive in making friends with another.

It happened after I placed both of the hamsters together in the same cage after they have been isolated from each other due to fights a long time ago.

The occupant of the cage was sniffing out the guest as the guest was eating some food and scratching itself. When two hamsters are placed together, they will be quite nervous initially. They may start fighting or live well together.

Then after a long sniffing from the occupant, the occupant hamster started to "vomit" out the food that was stored in his cheek pouch. It was a welcoming gesture to the guest. It was an unforgettable sight, partly because I haven't seen hamsters "vomiting" out so much food at one time.

The guest hamster did not reciprocate the goodwill. He moved away from the occupant and continued his own activity, ignoring the occupant all the way.

This reminds me of how people sometimes behave like hamsters. I recall times when my friends or I displayed a warm attitude towards strangers but received ignorance and doubt by them. Some even feel threatened when strangers start to be too friendly.

The hamsters were sleeping together cosily this morning. Cool. Saved one more cage for future baby hamsters.

2 comments:

  1. Well, do understand that there are different types of people. Strangers ignore you probably because they are surprised by your warmness! Just like in schools, it takes time for the whole class to bond too! Continue to show your enthusiam in befriending them and I'm sure they will appreciate you more and more. In fact, they might eventually be the best of your friends! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprised by warmness -- goes to show something about society...

    ReplyDelete

Please share your feedback and comments.