Thursday, November 02, 2006

Rascal-ity or Childhood

Children making a nuisance out of themselves in the public. Is that an act of childhood, or are they simply rascals? Sometimes it makes you wonder.

Some days ago, I was distracted from watching a game that my friends are playing, by a group of children making a nuisance out of themselves. I was at the bowling alley. This group of boys on my right tried to enjoy themselves by throwing two balls at one time to the pins. They then throw 3 at one time.

At one point in time, the technician working behind opened the cover just above the pins and scolded the boys, even though his volume is too soft. The boys continued nonetheless. A few times, the balls hit the metal piece that clears the pins. As they are playing at the furthest alley away from the counter, they got away with it, laughing and cheering themselves when they do the "tricks".

I stopped to ponder if this is a scene of childhood life or just simply rascal-ity as I call it.

From their point of view, they will remember this as a childhood memory, and they will laugh at it when they recall it. However, from our eyes, they are vandalising and creating a nuiscance out of themselves.

It depends on the extent of damage vs the importance of childhood memories for the individual. I have yet to determine the balance for myself. Wait till I witness another of such activities...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your feedback and comments.