Friday, November 03, 2006

Cashflow game

After giving tuition in the morning (not a very good way to start the day), I settled some tuition work and departed from home to Clarke Quay. I was on my way to learn how to play a game called "Cashflow".

After meeting with a group, we made our way to the Settler's Cafe. It is a I-think-I-have-heard-before-but-not-too-sure-about-it-kind-of-cafe. It is actually in a shophouse, amidst some heritage-looking corridor.

The cafe exudes a cosy and comfortable atmosphere, making it a conducive place for chit-chats and some relaxation. A brief look at the menu reveals set meals incorporated with the activities that are going to take place later. All the staff are attired in uniform with the words "I play game for a living, do you?". Good.

After we settled ourselves down, one of the guides (I would not call them waiters because that is just their side-job as far as I am concern) set up the board game for us and then briefed us to the rules and regulations of the game. This is an interesting game that can take you more than 4 hours to complete. It is educational as well.

The aim of the game is to allow yourself to be able to buy your dream, that you have selected before the start of the game. In order to buy this dream, you will need to get out of the "rat race". All players start in the "rat race".

Everyone is asked to pick a card initially and that card will tell what occupation are you having. For example, I got "Secretary". There will not be repetitive positions. Each card also states your income-expenditure statistics as well as the liabilities that you have. Every one starts off without a passive income. The only way to get out of the "rat race" is to get your passive income to be greater than your expenditure.

It resembles monopoly a little. You get to pick up cards when you reach certain boxes after throwing your dice. Then the cards will either give you an oppurtunity or a deduction of your money.

Although I nearly could have gotten a fourth or fifth position (I ended up getting 6th, which is also the last), I would say I have learned some key points out of this game. I have attended talks and read up books that mentioned about passive income and its importance, but it is in this game that left a lasting impression on me.

Our group is going to bring this game to more youths and hopefully, many will benefit important financial knowledge through this game. Cashflow game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your feedback and comments.